Self Esteem Improvement: 4 Ways That You Can Give Yourself A Boost
It’s probably fair to say that most people will experience low self esteem at some point in their lives. But the question is, how do you pull yourself out of it? Self esteem improvement is certainly easier said than done, but it’s definitely worth the effort to achieve this.
Low self esteem generally stems from when you compare yourself to others and feel that you don’t measure up somehow. It also comes from not achieving the success or goals that you thought you could/should have. That’s great news because it means we can do something about it and change it around. Let’s have a look at 4 ways that you can improve your self esteem.
1. Ignore negativity. The first thing that you must do is ignore negative feedback from friends and family… also, any negative self-talk that pops into your mind. Negative comments from people can really bring you down and affect your self esteem. Stop seeking approval from everyone and start using your own brain and intuition to decide on what you want out of life and trust that you can stand on your own two feet.
2. Purpose. One of the most important things you can do with your life is to decide your purpose. Once you know what you really want to do with your life (not what friends and family want), you will experience a clarity that you haven’t felt before. If you can be bold and forge ahead with your dreams, with your purpose, this will go a long way towards boosting your self esteem.
There’s a great article written by Steve Pavlina, called How to Discover Your Life Purpose in About 20 Minutes that will give you an excellent way to find your own purpose in life. In part of the article he says…
- Take out a blank sheet of paper or open up a word processor where you can type (I prefer the latter because it’s faster).
- Write at the top, “What is my true purpose in life?”
- Write an answer (any answer) that pops into your head. It doesn’t have to be a complete sentence. A short phrase is fine.
- Repeat step 3 until you write the answer that makes you cry. This is your purpose.
For more reading on how to do this, go to How to Discover Your Life Purpose in About 20 Minutes.
3. Take control. Just realise that you are not at the mercy of the world. Everything that has happened in your life up to this point is mostly as a result of your thoughts and action (or lack of). Take ownership of that but don’t beat yourself up over it. The sooner you stop blaming life, the economy, other people, etc. the sooner you can get on with life and work towards achieving your goals.
4. Action taking. This is probably the most important part of the whole process. You can do all the positive thinking and visualisation that you like, but unless you buckle down and take action towards your goals and life purpose, you won’t experience real self esteem improvement. You may find that doing self esteem affirmations allows you to stay focused on those action steps.
From time to time, you may experience set-backs and failures (there are no failures by the way… only learning experiences). This is all part of life, and each set-back actually brings you closer to success… so don’t use these as an excuse to give up. Keep pushing through, never give up and you will succeed. By taking action on the steps above, you will definitely improve your self esteem in the short and long term.